Full-time or Part-time Veterinary Technician Job Description
Our veterinary technicians are responsible for client and patient care as well as assisting our veterinarians.
Job Requirements/Skills/Physical Demands:
The ideal candidate will be certified or experienced (three+ years in field) with excellent client communication and telephone skills. They must also:
- Effectively be able to read, speak, and write in English (additional languages are a plus).
- Have basic computer literacy skills and be able to handle multiple unrelated tasks simultaneously while working in a busy environment.
- Be able to lift 40 pounds, work on feet all day, and write legibly.
- Be customer service-oriented and friendly. Professional appearance is required; scrubs are to be worn at all times and are furnished by the employee.
- Be able to work all shifts, including nights and Saturdays. Technician will be required to be at work when scheduled and punctual.
- Be able to administer injections, perform venipuncture, take vital signs of animal, and properly restrain animals, including fractious pets, for examination and treatment.
- Be able to give treatments/medications intravenously, orally, and subcutaneously.
- Be able to work well independently and in a group.
- Review vaccination records and prepare vaccines according to our vaccine protocol
- Assist veterinarian in medical procedures using proper restraint and know how to restrain fractious patients
- Assist veterinarian in surgical procedures using proper aseptic technique
- Perform routine laboratory procedures and analyses in hematology, urinalysis, and fecal flotation
- Monitor patients under anesthesia
- Induce anesthesia and intubate patient
- Administer treatments and injections following the instructions of a doctor or a treatment form
- Maintain pharmacy records, and controlled drug, anesthesia, fecal, and heartworm test logs
- Take radiographs
- Take vital signs of animals including temperature, pulse, and respiration
- Perform dental cleanings
- Perform catheterization- urinary and venous
- Perform other duties as assigned
Small animal hospital, work in front and back of hospital, high level of client interaction, and
exposure to x-rays and anesthetic gases with proper protective measures. Potential for exposure
to zoonotic diseases and possible hazardous materials.
Upon hiring, all new employees will be subject to a 60-day probationary period during
which time employment may be terminated as determined by management. All aforementioned
requirements are subject to change by the employer at any time.
Full-time employees are eligible for medical/dental/vision insurance, 401(k), and PTO.
Part-time employees are eligible for 401(k).
From the Doctor...
Our goal at Jewell Animal Hospital is to provide a warm, caring, and flexible environment for pets and their owners. With an emphasis on great customer service and the latest medical, surgical, and pain management techniques, we want clients to feel that their companion animals are getting the best possible care available anywhere in Chicago!